Following our recent blogs on nutrition and hydration our blog this week gives a simple recipe for creating your own energy bars. All ready to be packed in your top tube bag for your next event. So simple even the most kitchen phobic individual could get involved. Give it a go we think they are delicious. Below you will find our homemade triathlon flapjack energy bar recipe. Make a batch of homemade energy bars for the price of a single shop bought alternative.
FLAPJACK ENERGY BAR INGREDIENTS
- 125g Butter
- 150g Soft brown sugar
- 125g Crunchy peanut butter (go crunchy and skip the smooth)
- 75g Honey (local honey is said to boost your immune system so go that way if you can)
- 200g Porridge oats (just regular ones not the jumbo type)
- 150g Dried fruit
- Grab yourself a 20cm square tin if you have one and line it with baking paper
- Take the butter, sugar, peanut butter and honey into a large pan on a very low heat until that lot has melted
- Stir in your porridge oats and those dried fruit
- Smash that lot into your eager and waiting tin
- The technical part where you might need the help of a responsible grown up. Bake 160 degrees Celsius for 30mins
- Leave it until it is cold (if you can resist it) and slice it up into your chosen size bites
That’s it for our homemade triathlon flapjack energy bar recipe which we hope you try soon. If you have any recipes of your own you would like to share with our community let us know. Who knows you could be the next Gordon Ramsey in the making although hopefully better at racing in triathlons!
If you are looking for more inspiration check out our cycling nutrition guide with some of the basics around nutrition for cyclists and triathletes.