A triathlon specific bag can make triathlon transitions and set-up significantly easier and less stressful. Our latest post covers the BlueSeventy Destination Review from James who is a triathlon expert from the Trivelo Squad. This review is ideal for anyone taking triathlon more seriously who has battled with transition set-up.
Summary of the review
The BlueSeventy Destination Triathlon Bag is an update on Blue70 legendary Transition Bag. It was a popular choice among triathletes due to its durability, functionality and convenient design. Overall, the BlueSeventy Destination Triathlon Bag is a reliable and well-designed option for triathletes. Its spacious compartments, durable construction, thoughtful features, and versatile carrying options make it a practical choice to store and transport your gear for triathlon events or training sessions.
Overall, the Blue 70 Destination Triathlon Bag seems to be a well-thought-out product that caters to the specific needs of triathletes, offering functionality, durability, and organizational features to help athletes transport their gear effectively.
Trivelo Score – 4 / 5
I feel that this is a great bag and really like it, it is just its price point that keeps it off a top score.
Buy the BlueSeventy Destination Triathlon bag for $175 from Blue70 in the US
Introduction to James
Hi, I’m James, I am just a typical age grouper. I was never really into sport until I moved to Devon in my 20’s, I joined the local Rowing club with my brothers and fell in love the sport. This was a steppingstone and over the next few years I took up Surfing, Kayaking, Mountain biking and Hiking.
After years of rowing I wanted a new challenge and I was inspired after watching my friends compete at my local sprint triathlon in Bideford in 2012. I took part in my first triathlon the following year and after making it through the swim I was hooked and loved every minute of the race. My greatest triathlon achievements to date are completing the savage Croyde triathlon in 2018 and the relentless Roadford 70.3 triathlon last year. I juggle training as best I can between work and a busy family life, which usually means training late at night or early in the morning.
On first impressions this bag appears to be well-designed and a practical option for triathletes. The bag’s spacious compartments, multiple pockets, and separate wet gear compartment offers ample storage and organization capabilities. The inclusion of the 12l bottom compartment which is designed to separate wet gear is one of the most thoughtful features.
The emphasis on durability, with features like reinforced stitching, sturdy zippers, and water-resistant materials, shows that the bag is built to withstand the demands of regular use and travel. The comfortable carrying options, such as adjustable shoulder straps and padded handles, suggest that it has been designed with user convenience and comfort in mind.
For a round up of the best triathlon wetsuits see our 2023 triathlon wetsuit buyers guide for all the best open water wetsuits for triathletes,
Features of the triathlon bag
- 400 Denier fabric for durability.
- Soft Micro fleece top zip pocket for sunglasses, goggles, phone, etc.
- Expandable top increases storage by 10L when you need it, perfect for a helmet.
- Additional pockets on the front of the bag, and inside the lid keep smaller items organized and easy to access.
- Side mesh pockets feature a reinforced bottom, perfect for your water bottles or other nutrition.
- The large main compartment features two open side pockets for organization and a laptop sleeve (fits up to 15″ laptops).
- Coordinated zipper pulls help you remember which zipper opens what.
- Dual Loop Pulls: main zippered pocket openings.
- Single Straight Pulls: Smaller pocket and expandable top.
- Padded foam back helps the bag maintain its shape and adds comfort.
- Sized to comply with airline carry on requirements when top is not expanded.
- Dimensions: 22″ long x 12″ wide x 8″ tall (not expanded).
If you are taking triathlon races and training more seriously you may well be looking at a heart rate monitor to improve your quality of training. Read our list of the best triathlon heart rate monitors with something for every budget.
The functionality of the Blue 70 Destination Bag lies in its ability to provide ample storage, organization, and protection for your triathlon gear. Its thoughtful design and features cater to the specific needs of triathletes, ensuring easy access, durability, and convenience during training and travel.
The quality of design of the bag is fantastic, it incorporates design features that I didn’t realise that I needed. The bag is made from high-quality materials with reinforced stitching and sturdy zippers to ensure that the bag can withstand the demands of regular use and travel. The reinforced bottom provides extra durability and protection.
Pros and Cons of the BlueSeventy Destination Bag
The Blue 70 Destination Triathlon Bag is a popular choice among triathletes due to its durability, functionality, and convenient design. Its key features and benefits are:
- Spacious Design: The bag offers ample space to accommodate all your triathlon essentials, including swim gear, cycling shoes, running shoes, helmets, clothing, towels, and more.
- Multiple Compartments: The bag features several compartments and pockets that help you organize your belongings efficiently. It includes a large main compartment for your clothing and larger items, separate compartments for your wet and dry gear, dedicated pockets for a pair of shoes, and smaller pockets for accessories like goggles, nutrition, and tools.
- Durable Construction: The Blue 70 Destination Bag is made from high-quality materials that are built to last. It’s designed to withstand the rigors of triathlon training and travel, ensuring your gear remains protected and secure.
- Comfortable and Versatile Carrying Options: The bag offers multiple carrying options to suit your preferences. It includes adjustable shoulder straps and a top grab handle, allowing you to carry it like a backpack or a duffel bag.
- Thoughtful Design Details: The Blue 70 Destination Bag includes additional features that enhance its usability. This includes an expandable top pocket that can hold an additional 10L of gear, two large stretch-woven side pockets for water bottles, Soft Micro fleece top zip pocket for sunglasses, goggles, phone, etc and a reinforced bottom to protect against wear and tear.
- Stylish Appearance: While functionality is key, the bag also has a sleek and sporty design.
- Overall, the Blue 70 Destination Triathlon Bag is a reliable and well-designed option for triathletes. Its spacious compartments, durable construction, thoughtful features, and versatile carrying options make it a practical choice to store and transport your gear for triathlon events or training sessions.
While the Blue 70 Destination Triathlon Bag offers many advantages, it’s important to consider potential drawbacks as well. Here are a few possible disadvantages:
- Size and Bulkiness: The spacious design of the bag can be a double-edged sword. While it allows you to pack all your triathlon essentials, it can also make the bag quite large and bulky, especially when fully loaded.
- Weight: With its ample storage capacity, the bag may be somewhat heavy, particularly when packed with gear.
- Lack of Specialized Features: While the bag offers compartments and pockets for organization, it may not have specialized features tailored to specific triathlon gear or accessories. Some triathletes might prefer bags with dedicated compartments, or additional straps for securing a bike helmet.
- Style Limitations: While the Blue 70 Destination Bag may have a sporty design that appeals to most people, its style options could be limited compared to other brands or models on the market.
- Price: Depending on your budget, the Blue 70 Destination Bag is relatively expensive compared to other triathlon bags on the market.
- It’s important to note that some of these potential disadvantages may vary depending on personal preferences and individual needs.
For other triathlon bags worth considering read our Buyers Guide to the best triathlon bags to buy in 2023. The BlueSeventy Destination is a worthy entrant in this list with a strong score of 4/5.
Would I Buy the BlueSeventy Destination Bag?
A good transition bag isn’t just about storing gear; it’s about organizing it in a way that makes transition zones less stressful and more efficient. After extensive usage, I am confident to say that the Destination Bag by Blue 70 hits that mark perfectly. The main downside of the Destination Bag is its price. Depending on your budget, the Blue 70 Destination Bag may be relatively expensive compared to other triathlon bags on the market. It is an investment, but in my opinion, it’s one that’s worth it.
Best Price for the BlueSeventy Destination Triathlon Bag
Buy the BlueSeventy Destination Bag for $175 direct from Blue70